Saturday, July 11, 2009

Yet another big day around the corner...





July 11, 2009

Do you remember that age when your parents started letting you ride the public bus on your own? Well the current PC recruits just got their permission and now tomorrow at 6:00 in the morning I am going to get up and leave by 6:30 so I can make a bus in Chisinau that is going to my new town. My excursion will only last until Tuesday, but it is still a little nerve-racking. Imagining my groggy half-functioning self walking around the 2-million person capital of Chisinau at 7 a.m. trying to find a bus sounds kind of funny.

In this short visit I will meet my business partner that I will work with for the next two years as well as my host mother in the new village. I’m sure this trip will include a small tour of the village, possibly a walk from one end to other, which will take a whopping 5 minutes-- 10 if I am lucky. It is a pretty surreal moment. I just packed up a bag full of clothes and books to fight the uphill battle of the language barrier. I am hoping for the least sweaty bus ride possible. Riding the Мапшуткы (big vans, seats about 15 people—usually has about 30 in it) is fine if you like to sweat incessantly and smell whatever brand of stink you are surrounded by. It really is an adventure, Мапшуткы really have character.

As for the pictures attached. The one of all the water on the road is from a torrential downpour two days ago. I couldn’t go to school the normal way because there was literally a foot of water flowing over the path. Instead I went the long way and got completely drenched and broke my external hard drive. That was quick. The other pictures are of the fields behind my current house walking home after a wonderful night with friends (can you sense the euphemism?).

As for now I am tired and in desperate need of sleep if I am going to wake up on time tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment